Has the time come to sell your home? As you prepare to enter the world of a home seller, here is the ultimate home seller’s checklist to help keep you on track.
5 First Steps to Take Before Listing Your Home for Sale:
- Choose an agent – homes that sell the quickest are usually those that a skilled real estate agent markets.
- Make it safe – Prepare your home by making it safe for home buyers. Consider electrical safety, stairs, walkways, and any other safety hazards.
- Price it well – Look at your state’s assessment, typically around 95 percent of the fair market value, or talk to your real estate agent to price the home.
- Make necessary upgrades – Greatly outdated appliances will lower home values, so consider upgrading where needed.
- Light it up – Add lighting to dark areas of the home to make it more inviting.
6 Second Steps to Take Before Listing Your Home for Sale.
- Clean it up – Your home must be clean inside and out and ready to be shown to a buyer immediately.
- Stage it – appropriately staged properties will look welcoming, spacious, and inviting, so use your furniture and decor to your advantage.
- Perform necessary repairs – Maintenance you have been putting off must be completed before you list the home for sale.
- Declutter – Take out clutter and personal items to make the home feel neutral & spacious.
- Re-paint – Make sure your home is well-painted and in neutral colors to show well.
- Add curb appeal – Even small changes, like colorful flowers in a planter box, will catch the eye of potential buyers in search of homes for sale.
4 Final Steps to Take Right After You List Your Home for Sale.
- Be prepared – If a home buyer gives you 12 hours’ notice on a showing, and you are not prepared, you lose a potential sale, so always be prepared to show the home.
- Keep it clean – Plan to keep your home clean for potential buyers to tour.
- Have a place to go – For listings and open houses, it’s best if you (and your pets) are not on the property, so make plans to have a place to go.
- Trust your agent – Trust that your agent has your best interests and will market your home aggressively.
3 Important Steps to Take After You Receive an Offer on Your Home:
- Ask your agent – Ask your agent what they think about the offer.
- Negotiate – Don’t accept the offer without negotiating, as buyers expect a counteroffer.
- Prepare for closing – Have the keys, garage door openers, and appliance manuals ready for your buyer at closing.
Are you prepared to enter the real estate market?
As a home seller, a real estate agent will be one of your best advocates. Contact a local agent to ensure you have an aggressive marketer on your side using community contacts to sell your home quickly.